Beef Suckler Package
As a team, we are always thinking about how we can improve the service that we offer our clients. This Spring, we will be rolling out our new ‘Beef Suckler Package’ where, for a fixed price of £39.59 (ex VAT) per month (payable via direct debit) you will receive:
1 x Bull Breeding Soundness Evaluation:
This is essential to ensure that your bull is fighting fit and ready to work before the breeding season commences. It is recommended that every bull is tested every year around 6-8 weeks before he is required to be used.
Additional bulls tested will be charged at reduced rates (the more you test, the cheaper the tests will work out at!) and will be payable with your next monthly bill.
A farm specific Herd Health Plan:
An important document to assist in the running of your farm (and an essential requirement to comply with most ‘Farm Assurance’ schemes). Rather than just being a ‘tick box’ requirement, this document should ideally be seen as a dynamic document not only summarising the running of your farm, but also viewed as an evolving process, allowing us to record and monitor important aspects of your farms management e.g. fertility, calf growth rates etc.
1 x Scanning (PD) session:
Ideally this hour-long visit would be used for scanning your cows for pregnancy. Pregnancy diagnosis (PD) is important in the management of a suckler herd. If you are waiting to be able to ‘knock’ a calf when she is at least 6.5 months in calf (bear in mind that this is highly inaccurate!) and she is not in calf you have wasted many months on her and will have no ‘payment’ (in form of a live calf) to cover the expense of keeping her for this time. Early PD sessions can also highlight issues with your bull or problems with infectious diseases within your herd if low number of cows are found to be in calf.
For visits extending over the hours’ time, additional time will be charged to your next monthly bill.
This hour could be used for alternative purposes e.g. disbudding calves, castrating calves, blood sampling animals etc.
Premium Beef Contract
For those of you that would require more than 3 visits a year, you may be better off on our existing ‘Premium Beef Contract’ which comprises of a minimum of four, hour-long, pre-booked visits across the year. Additional benefits of joining our ‘Premium Beef Contract’ include:
- Your own designated farm vet to carry out these visits meaning that there is someone within the practice who knows the running of your farm well and can be a good point of contact for you.
- ‘At-Cost’ worming and ectoparasite treatments (when ordered via your routine vet)
- 2 x free worm egg counts for assessing your youngstock’s worm burden – assessing this may lead to you reducing your wormer usage on farm.
- Free attendance to educational beef meetings held at the Markeaton Lane practice (charged at £5pp for non-contract clients).
- A reduced hourly rate for all other in hours’ visits (unfortunately we cannot always guarantee that your routine vet will be available in emergency situations), this equates to a saving of around £25 (ex VAT) per hours’ work!
If you have any questions about either the ‘Beef Suckler Package’ or the ‘Premium Beef Contract’ please contact us at the practice on 01332 294929 and speak to either Emily, Chantal or Rob who will be more than happy to talk you through the options.