The Scarsdale Vets Graduate Development Scheme
The move from University study to starting your career can seem daunting. We have designed our graduate development scheme to take this into account, building up your experience and supporting you in the crucial first few months. Your success is our success.
Our unique development incorporates:
- Training in a wide range of procedures
- A sensible rota, with regular hours, 1 in 4 Saturday mornings, and no OOH
- Starting salaries are £30k for a 4.5 day week (one week 4 days, the next week 5 days) with incremental increases on an annual basis
- An experienced Veterinary mentor
- Support with your PDP, moving you from Vet Student to confident Practicing Clinician
- Training in all areas of business, including finance, marketing and HR practice
- Longer consultations, to allow for learning opportunities
- Supervised surgery time, building skills and confidence, within our state-of-the-art hospital
- Local community based practice work
- Access to the referral clinicians (Certificate & Diploma holders)
- Dedicated Graduate CPD, professional memberships and conferences
- Support and contact with other recent graduates
How To Apply For The Graduate Scheme
The scheme starts every September, so if you are due to graduate, or have graduated within the last year, then you are eligible to apply.
Application is easy – email your CV and a covering letter stating why you feel you are the ideal candidate for this process to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also need to know your degree classification (or expected classification).
We are looking for graduates who are passionate about the veterinary business, who can use their own initiative, respect clients and colleagues, are great at organising their time, thrive under pressure and want to develop their career as a caring, professional and skilled Veterinary Surgeon. Our business is expanding and we are looking for Vets with ambition to join us.
As soon as you start with us you will feel supported. We assign all our graduates a mentor, a highly experienced and patient skilled Vet who you will work with regularly and be able to turn to for all those little questions you find you need to ask. They will also help you develop your professional style and confidence, allowing you learning opportunities with our 20-minute consultation times, and ensuring you gain the full veterinary experience.
We are affiliated with Nottingham University and therefore offer numerous opportunities to all staff to learn and develop.
Because we know there is more to being a successful vet than just being technically great, we also develop our graduates people skills, enabling you to build up a client base, and close working partnerships with your colleagues. Our large nursing team, client support advisors and background support team are all part of the package, and you will learn lots from them all during your time with us.
You will receive regular reviews with your line manager, enabling you to work towards your career goals, and gain constructive feedback on your performance. We are expanding, and aim to employ all vets completing the scheme, business allowing, and we would hope that following a successful year with us you would like to stay and take your career further. This may be as a First Opinion Vet, an intern or perhaps you want to work towards running your own practice for us. We have lots of opportunities.
- Where will I do my training?
All training and clinical work will take place at Pride Veterinary Centre, Derby and at the Scarsdale Vets practices in the East Midlands.
- What salary should I expect?
We offer a competitive salary, 4.5-day working week (one week 4 days, the next 5 days), private health insurance, 2 x subscriptions plus VDS and RCVS, pension scheme, death in service.
- Will I have to work “out of hours”?
No but there may be opportunities to join our dedicated Vets at Night team to gain emergency care experience if you wish, so that you see all sides of the practice. Whilst training your rota will be daytime only, with occasional weekends.
- Do you offer further qualifications?
We offer continuous training as part of the scheme and a generous CPD budget. We hold regular events here, so you have access to a wide range of knowledge and experience. We are a learning environment so any further qualifications would need to be approved by your line manager.