Six Springtime Risks For Pets

It’s that time of year again – the sun is shining and flowers are in bloom. We share some of the common risks for your pet associated with springtime.

Share this post

Lilies (Cut Flowers)

Risks: Ingestion of any part of the plant (even pollen) is toxic to cats (felines). Dogs are safe, but ingestion may cause vomiting and/or diarrhoea.

Action: Seek immediate veterinary attention. Toxic dosages are very small for our feline friends.

Grapes, Raisins & Sultanas

Risks: Ingestion can potentially cause kidney failure.

Action: Seek immediate veterinary attention. Toxic dosages are unknown.

Chocolate, Energy Drinks, Coffee Grounds, Some Bodybuilding Supplements

Risks: The chemical methylxanthine contained in these items is what makes them toxic to dogs, and it affects the heart and the brain.

Action: Seek immediate veterinary attention.


Risks: Mainly causes increased itching and scratching in dogs. You may notice over-grooming in cats.

Action: A range of allergy medication is now available. Arrange a veterinary consultation to discuss what would suit your pet best.


Risks: Mainly found in uncultivated areas e.g. hedgerows. They can cause diseases such as Lyme Disease in your pet.

Action: Phone your local practice and arrange an appointment to remove the ticks, which should be removed whole whenever possible. Preventative treatment is available.


Risks: All parts of the plant are toxic, although the bulb is significantly more toxic than the plant.

Action: Seek veterinary advice. Induction of vomiting is often recommended if daffodils have been acutely ingested by dogs.

Out of hours emergency

Save money with thePet Health Club

Join the Pet Health Club and get great discounts on your pet’s routine preventative healthcare in easy monthly payments

Find out more about the Pet Health Club