Share this post
Did you know?
- It is estimated there are 8 million cats kept as pets in the UK.
- Felines were considered sacred in ancient Egypt and were worshipped like a god.
- The domestic feline is responsible for the extinction of 87 species of birds!
- There are approximately 60 recognised individual cat breeds.
- The average lifespan for a cat is 15 years but the oldest known pet feline (called ‘Creme Puff’) was confirmed as being 38 when she died.
- Cats cannot taste sweet food and only have about 470 taste buds (compared to humans who have 9000).
- The ridged pattern on a cats nose is as unique as a human fingerprint.
- Cats can run 3mph faster than Usain Bolt, up to 30mph.
- A cat has no collarbone so it can fit through any opening the size of its head.
- A group of adult cats is called a CLOWDER.
- The Egyptian May is the oldest breed of cat. In fact, the Egyptian word for cat is ‘mau’.
- On average cats spend 2/3 of every day sleeping. That means that a nine year old cat has been awake for only three years of its life.
- A cats tongue feels like sandpaper due to it being covered in tiny backward facing barbs called papillae used to hold prey in place.